This is a pic of my Lister LD1 Diesel engine. It normally lives outside driving my sawbench. It was fitted – if thats the right word – about 20 years ago and has lived outside eversince. It’s been regularly serviced – uh hum! – ok. then I’ve kept topping up the oil and and diesel as required. Anyway, the other weekend I started it up as usual and started to cut up some wood, after about 15 minutes I thought it doesn’t sound quite right and it smells a bit hot. So wisely I decided to stop it and have a look. Well it stopped quicker than usual and then smoke started appearing all around the engine, it was very, very hot. Closer examination revealed that all of the cooling ducts were virtually blocked solid with oil and sawdust – shame on me!
So a strip down and clean up ensued.
Pic showing that even the cooling fins on the head were clogged up.
Right hand pic shows cylinder cooling fins totally clogged, left hand shows the exit side – no air coming through so lovely and clean!
This is the flywheel / fan. Its not too bad but still needs a good clean.
Now I just need to strip it down, clean it up and reassemble.